Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Advice for 1st time solo trip to Tokyo?

Question:


I'd like to visit Tokyo this winter (it's the only time I have available) for 1 or 2 weeks. As I'll be traveling alone, I thought it would be a good idea to join a travel group but can't find any that fit my desires.

I speak NO Japanese so I'm afraid of getting lost or having trouble. I have 1 friend in Tokyo and 1 in Kyoto, however they work & have lives so they will not be able to accompany me 24/7. Also, I want to meet other English speakers to hangout with.

Ideally, I would want at least 5 days in Tokyo and 2 in Kyoto. Sight seeing in the day and free time for Night. I wanna find cool bars with English speakers when I am not with my friends. I am looking to spend about $3,000 - $3,500 USD for flight + hotel and extra on food & transportation. The trip must fall between December 17 - January 8. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Answer:


It`s best not to think of Tokyo as one city but as a collection of separate smaller cities all connected by rail as it makes it much easier to explore the city. Each of these smaller cities has its own distinct character and attraction.

I recommend using the JR Train Line (Yamanote loop line) to get around Tokyo and explore the small cities. There are also lots of budget hotels to stay at all around Tokyo. Try a Business Hotel for a good compromise with prices around USD$70 for a single room and USD$100 for a double. I recommend the Toyoko Inn hotel chain located all over Japan.

Attractions in Tokyo include the Asakusa district famous for Sensoji temple and Nakamise shopping street; Meiji Shrine; The Imperial Palace; Ginza and Harajuku.

Read more about Tokyo here
http://japan-australia.blogspot.com/2010…

Kyoto attractions include Kiyomizudera; Kinkakuji (Temple of the Golden Pavilion); Ginkakuji (Temple of the Silver Pavilion); Nijo Castle; and Heian Shrine.

Read more about Kyoto here
http://japan-australia.blogspot.com/2011…

No comments:

Post a Comment