Monday, July 25, 2011

What should I know about moving/renting in Japan?

Question:


Hi, so I am a junior in High School, and I already know that after I graduate college I want to move to Japan. I will be majoring in either Secondary Education with Concentration in Social Studies, Secondary Education with Concentration in Mathematics, or Secondary Education with Concentration in Science, with a minor (no matter what) in Japanese. How much does the average apartment cost for renting, and how much does the average apartment cost when buying? The area I would, more than likely, live in is Tokyo. Are teachers in demand in Japan? How much, annually, do teachers get paid in Tokyo, Japan? If Social Studies, Science, or Mathematics teachers aren't in demand, could I get a job teaching English in Japan? What are the requirements for Teaching core subjects and English in Japan? Do you live in Japan? Do you teach in Japan? What are you experiences? Any other information you can give me would be absolutely fantastic! Thanks for answering!! I really appreciate it!!!

Answer:


There are schools where core subjects are taught in English. From what I have heard, these individuals have quite a bit of experience in teaching those subjects prior to coming to Japan. You'll have some heavy competition for those jobs, if you can even get in the running.

You won't be buying an apartment or house. Rent can run from 50,000 yen/month to, well, the sky's the limit. I lived about 30 mins by train outside the heart of Tokyo and rent from a 1 LDK, (1 room plus a combo living/dining/kitchen) and it was 90,000 yen/month. This was about 15 years ago. You have to add in key money, usually one month's rent which is generally non-refundable, and security deposit, another one month's rent. That's about $3400 now just to move in and not counting elec, gas, water and telephone.

Even teaching at a school has become more competitive. There you are looking at around 250,000 yen/month if you are a decent teacher. You could make almost double that, but you would have to be a really good teacher to get assigned that many lessons.

I've lived here for 20 years, worked in Japanese companies for about 5 years, worked in an English school as head teacher for about 3 years and taught private/group lessons from my home for about 12 years. Positive? Japan is a safe place to live. But you start noticing drawbacks as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment