Friday, June 17, 2011

What are the common ice-breakers and ways to start a conversation with a Japanese person?

Question:


I mean like in England there is this "It's a nice weather today, huh" (the kind of elderly neighbors talk to each other). What are ways to start a conversation with someone in Japanese? Yes, I would like to know Japanese ice-breaker phrases that help in casual conversations. The more you write the better. (Not meant to use only with the elderly neighbors).

Answer:


To be honest, I've only been in japan a total of 6weeks, but it seems it's the same situation in Japan as in England, with discussing the weather with elder people (kyou ii otenki desu ne). Whereas you wouldn't really talk to someone younger than that without due cause. Usually, the things that unite English people is complaining about late transport (not likely in Japan) and occasionally exchanging worried/amused glances when something odd happens on a train (likely to be ignored or internally registered in Japan, right?)

You might start a conversation in a small store that isn't busy (ie. not a chain/department store). You might comment on something that is easily observable to someone nearby that seems approachable (ie. on a train/bus/plane/boat or a large crowd) so, you might mention that there are a lot of people on the train/street/etc. (hito ga ooi desu ne/ sugoi hito desu ne).

When I was in Japan, it seemed a lot of people were interested in talking to me. Japanese people tended to initiate the conversation, asking where I was from, why I was in Japan, where had I been, etc. One woman just said 'it's cute' to me and when I replied in english she phoned up her sister saying she was better at english! haha. Another time I noticed some people performing in the street so I watched from the other side of the road. They noticed and invited me over.

From my limited experience, I would say just wondering around aimlessly like a gormless idiot is the best way to start conversations, but that's not very good advice...

No comments:

Post a Comment