Saturday, April 30, 2011

If you work in a Japanese company...?

Question:


and you have in your contract that you are eligible for the twice a year "bonus" how much would you expect to get? Can anyone give me any advice or experiences?

Im a foreigner working for a Japanese company in Japan (but I am a seishain) and In my contract it says i will get the bonuses in summer and winter. I was just wondering how much I can expect to get. My monthly salary is pretty average, and I work for a social welfare foundation, if it matters.

Does it vary by company? Or is it based on performance?

I recently joined the company and would rather not ask :) Dont want my honne to appear like Im only after the money after all ...

Many thanks!

Answer:


Based on what I know, bonuses are based on its company's performance and not based on the performance of that particular individual. Usually bonuses for winter time is larger than summer bonuses. It is approximately twice to three times as much as the monthly salary. However, unlike the western society, Japan focuses on group effort and therefore individual's effort or performances are not highly valued. If the company is doing good as a whole, bonuses also rises and if it isn't, bonuses decline as well. My co-worker once stated that his friend's bonus was reduced to null due to this economic recession. Unlike the American company bonuses are for every one when the company is doing okay. However, if you are working for the Gaishi(foreign capital) Firm in Japan, system could be bit different and not everyone in a company receives bonuses. It is only for the top people.

No comments:

Post a Comment