Monday, August 22, 2011

Help with going to Japan at 14?

Question:


Hi Guys,
I've always loved experiencing the world, even though I'm only 14 ( going into highschool ).
Anyways, I've been given the oppertunity by a family member to stay with them for a year, or until I finish highschool in Japan. You see, when I grow up it's my dream to live in Japan, and I think this oppertunity would be amazing to get to know the culture, and learn the language first, so I took it.

Anyways I'm leaving soon, but Im so scared because I don't speak ANY japanese, other than saying Hello.. :P I don't know anything about Japan!

I'm european ( white ) so will I fit in? Im going to a big city in Japan by the way.

Do you have any tips? I'm so afraid because Im going into highschool too, and I know I won't understand anything!

Nothing is going to stop me from taking this oppertunity, I know I can get through the hardships, as I know there will be some.

But do you have any tips for me? About the culture? Will I fit in being white ( please don't take this as I being rascist ) ? What will they think of me not knowing anything at all :P ?

ANY tips about Japan would be helpful!!

Thankyou all so much!

Answer:


>Do you have any tips? I'm so afraid because Im going into highschool too, and I know I won't understand anything!

Japanese high school is not compulsory. So you need to take and pass its entrance exam to join. You can't join them if you don't speak any Japanese. 14 is not age to go to a high school in Japan anyway. It's age to go to a junior high school.

What do you mean by staying with a family member in Japan? Don't you stay with a family member now there?

Addition:
>And you have to take an exam to get into a public highschool? I've never heard of that before

Yes, you have to, no matter if you go to a public or private high school. Japan is not Canada. We have other rules. And as I said, 14 is not an age to go to a high school in Japan.

>No, right now I live in Canada, I'd to going to Japan to live with an Uncle and Aunt.

I don't think they will give you a visa to stay in Japan if you stay with your uncle or aunt. You must live with either one of your parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment