Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Japanese questions please help!:)?

Question:


Okay, I'm in the process of trying to learn Japanese, and I have a couple questions for fluent/native Japanese speakers:
1) How do I write my name, Skyla, in Japanese? (Probably difficult without the L or Sk sounds)
2) Is it best to go from Hiragana to Katakana to Kanji? (And if so, what's a good way to go about learning them. This might be a little difficult because I have to teach myself since I don't have a Japanese teacher).
3) Any good ways to go about memorizing the hiragana symbols with the sounds (I can say and memorize the Hiragana alphabet pretty easily, but I have difficulty when it comes down to memorizing the characters.)
4) And four, are there any other important facts or tips I should no before getting into learning Japanese?
Thanks so much in advance! :)

Answer:


1. スカイラ (sukaira). Alternatively, you could use スカイラー (sukairaa), though someone may think your name is "Skyler"


2. Yes, in that order. If you were already in Japan I might suggest learning Katakana first simply so you could read restaurant menus/etc.; however, if that's not the case, the order you suggested is best.

Honestly, it's best to just find a list of Hiragana and Katakana that tells their stroke order and pronunciation and have at it. There's only 46 of each, so it shouldn't be too difficult.


3. The sounds go in order...
a i u e o
ka ki ku ke ko
sa shi su se so
etc.

Memorizing them in this order is best (and most study charts you encounter will list them in this order).


4. Don't binge-study! Keep at it consistently, even if it's only a little each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment