Friday, October 14, 2011

Are most Asian parenting styles/families similar to this?

Question:


I am an Asian American and I've observed throughout my life that my Asian American friends have had similar upbringings like mine. Our parents are usually very strict with getting good grades, being close with the extended family and knowing everyone's gossip, upholding "family honor", large family reunions with a lot of drama, etc. Some even hit their kids or verbally call them names and degrade them in public, and to them it is normal and some even say they are "being easy and forgiving" on their children when they do this, and that it is for their own good. My dad has called me pathetic, that I live a sad life, curses at me, yells constantly when I don't meet his expectations.

Some of the parents are immigrants from impoverished or third-world countries who either escaped from war/conflict or came to build the "American Dream" and provide a better future for their children (Bengladesh, China, Vietnam, Philippines, etc.) and some were well-off when they were living in their home countries and came to provide their children with a privileged, all-American education (Japan, Korea, India etc). Yes, I completely understand that Asian is a VERY wide and diverse concept and that not every family is the same. But seeing these similarities with my friends and my own life (and the differences between ours and the "western" or American style of parenting), I just inherently know that there must be something cultural behind this.

Of course people from any background can offer opinions and observations, but I would really love to hear from those with personal experience, either Asian parents or children (I don't mean Asian Americans since I know about this topic already, but meaning Asians living overseas). Is it socially acceptable to physically or verbally abuse your kids (is abuse even considered a negative concept at all)? What is the attitude your Asian parents hold towards education? Is the utmost respect towards elders mandatory (and therefore rebellion and disobediance is forbidden)? Specific details would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Answer:


Yes, Asian families have something in comon.
It may come from "Confucianism" that promotes virtues, encompassed by the Five Constants (五常)
Ren (仁, Humaneness)
Yi (義, Righteousness or Justice)
Li (禮, Propriety or Etiquette)
Zhi (智, Knowledge)
Xin (信, Integrity)

Check out these words at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucianis…

If I compare Asian families to North American families, North American parents seem to focus on respect of individualism. Social manners may come first (rather than study)
The seem to give higher priority to "enjoy yourself", "relax", "have fun" and to "do on your own"

What about us? We tend to say "work hard" to our child....
-------- edited: (I changed "Western" to North American)

I have a German friend (new comer family to Canada) who is complaining about "less homework"
-

No comments:

Post a Comment