Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Teaching english in japan?

Question:


I have discovered this career a couple months ago and I would just like more info onit. I am 16. I just would like to know more details such as the easiest way to go about getting a teaching job in japan(what type of college degree it requires and any other details), the pay, what the job is like, is it a good career from your perspective, do you have any regrets about making this career choice and any other stories or details you would like to throw in there. I have always had a large and genuine interest in japan, it's people, and it's culture. I am perfectly fine with living in a small space. I am also not a very materialistic person.when i move there i plan on utilizing public transportation or my legs to get to my job.Overall i would just like more info from real people about the job.Thank you and whatever you have to say is greatly appreciated :)

Answer:


It's a job, but for most people it's not a career. Most schools have a year long contract, and most have a limit on times you can renew it. Many people get burned out after the first year or two and quit. They get homesick. They get tired living in a country where most people don't speak English. They get tired of having to repeat the same lines over and over. Like " this is a pen ".
You need a BA / BS degree to get a work visa. Major isn't important. But if it's related to teaching and / or English, you'll have a better chance of being hired as an English teacher.
My advice would be to major in something you can fall back on.
Average pay for an English teacher in Japan is 250,000 yen. It's been there for years. Some pay more, some pay less.
If you've never been there. You might want to visit for a few weeks if you can.Good luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment