Saturday, May 28, 2011

Safe to study abroad in Osaka Japan or not?

Question:


I am scheduled to study abroad next semester in Osaka, Japan, and as much as I really want to go, i am concerned that it may be hazardous to my health to enter the country. I've heard on the news that America has experienced radiation from the aftermath of Japan's Earthquake, so i'm sure Osaka also has radiation. Also i am concerned about the drinking water in Osaka being contaminated as well as the food not being safe to eat.... I really want to go to Japan so can someone please extinguish my concerns and let me know it is indeed safe to take this once in a life time opportunity that i have been given. Thanks.

Answer:


I live in the area around there and everything is safe. Even Tokyo, which is much closer to Fukushima, is safe. The US embassy has declared that everything outside of the evacuation radius is safe.

I wouldn't worry about eating contaminated food. The government is being overly cautious about it. And if you are nervous, buy your own food. The fruits, vegetables and milk almost always say where they are from (especially the vegetables).

No comments:

Post a Comment