Thursday, June 30, 2011

How much is a one Person trip to Japan?

Question:


How much would a trip to Japan be? Including food, hotels, ect. For two weeks. Also please tell me about your own experience going to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, ect was. Thanks! It's been my dream to go to Japan since I can remember.

Answer:


For your flight I would say it's 1,500 up to 2,700 (US) now depending on what flight company you go through and also where you live, and make sure to read the fine print under some of the prices. Hopefully you have a passport or else that will be an additional $100 to obtain one.

I would seriously invest in a rail pass before coming to Japan as you can get it for about $500 or so for two weeks which is a lot cheaper in the long run since you will be using some form of transportation at least everyday.

Hotels range in price from really expensive $300 a night to as cheap as $120 a night. If you stay in Tokyo, look up Smile Hotel as it's $120 a night. There is also a wide variety of youth hostels that are pretty safe out there. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that there is a curfew and also be aware that most of them have you sharing your room with at least 1 other person if not more unless you catch them on an off season. If you plan on visiting a lot of Japan, then I would think that it would be a lot cheaper to just stay in hostels throughout your trip. The cheapest hostel I saw ran $35 a night, but the one that I stayed at ran $65 a night which was a bit pricey since I actually had a room to myself. Hotel total for 2 weeks = 1,680 at least Hostel total for 2 weeks = $490 to $910

Food you can cut back a lot on if you eat instant food or even prepared food from the convenience stores. You can easily buy something for as cheap as 120 yen in some areas which is about $1.50. Not the best food in the world, but hey it's cheap. Or you can splurge a bit and pay maybe $50-$80 a day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Well not really splurging, but hey it's a budget for a reason.
So food total might run you around $700 for 2 weeks if you spend $50 a day (remember you'll probably want some beverages inbetween).

You'll probably want to bring some extra spending money with just in case. You never know what might happen, so it's always nice to keep some extra money on hand. Also if you plan on shopping which I think you might :), you'll need some extra money for that. I say the least is $300.

In total for the most cheapest options you're looking into $3,500 and up, but if you get a lot of nice deals then you could be looking at as cheap as $$3,000. All depends on what you want to do while in Japan as a lot of activities cost money, well unless you're visiting for the architecture. But the first time I went to Japan, I spent about $4,500 or so. It really depends on how thrifty you are really.

If you're a shopaholic like I am, then you want to check out Shibuya for sure. Also the sights around Tokyo Bay were nice, especially at night. I would totally recommend checking out a ryokan or an onsen while you're in Japan. They're so relaxing! Be aware that some onsens and even waterparks in Japan don't allow people who have tattoos. There is usually a sign around the entrance.
Kyoto I visited mostly for the traditional side of Japan, and I was so interested in doing the Maiko Makeover that a studio in Kyoto does but I didn't have enough money with me so that was depressing. Ohh I didn't even think, if your a guy though they do have a men's traditional dress up too . Not sure if you're interested in that haha.

Not sure what you want to visit or what you're interested in, so I'm afraid I can't be too helpful in giving out recommendations.

All in all have a safe trip :)

No comments:

Post a Comment