Thursday, June 30, 2011

Why is bacon served raw in Japan?

Question:


Why is bacon served raw in Japan? Do Japanese people like to eat bacon raw? I've been in Japan for quite sometime and I do like the food here but one thing I don't understand is why they serve bacon raw in sandwiches and meals. If you go to a convenient store and look for sandwiches, you might find a Bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich costing something like 250yen but of course the bacon is raw. I went to family restaurants like Jonathan's and ate hamburg steak but it came with a raw bacon. Jonathan's serves BLT sandwich but the bacon is raw or undercooked. I learned in the U.S. that if you eat pork it had to be cooked because you could get parasites by eating raw pork or uncooked pork. Bacon is pork so that means it's not a good thing to eat bacon raw. I'm puzzled as to why bacon is served raw or undercooked in Japan. Does anyone agree that eating pork raw is not good for you? If you eat a BLT sandwich in the U.S. 10 out of 10 times the bacon will be cooked and most likely crispy but if you eat a BLT sandwich here, if you open up the sandwich and look at the bacon you know it's undercooked. I don't understand why they don't cook the bacon well in Japan that's the one thing I'm puzzled about.

Answer:


Bacon was once smoked(kind of cooked) in the factory.
So you can eat bacon without cooking again.
Besides Japanese eat Bacon Eggs, of course it is cooked on a frying pan.

Edit:
I'm a native Japanese. I often eat bacon both without cooking or with cooking.
I sometimes eat sandwiches with bacon and lettuce at Doutor, or I sometimes buy to eat BLT sandwiches at any convenience store. I really eat them.

Edit2:
Hello again, Maui M.
response to
>Do you ever worry about getting parasites from pork?

"Not to eat raw pork" is a common understanding in Japan, too.
I worry parasites not only from pork but tap water. But I know that bacon sold or served in Japan is not raw pork. Even though it maybe looks like raw, it was smoked, and it was salted before be smoked. Salt restrains food be rotting. So I don't have to worry about bacon.

>Or is it totally safe now?
I think so. Whether you know or not, A few food poisoning affair happened recently in Japan. However, these food poisoning is obviously different from bacon. I believe bacon is safe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R5g4jAEP…
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pac…

No comments:

Post a Comment