Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I want to learn Japanese writing system. What are some good mind tricks and resources?

Question:


I don't want to waste my money on lessons, because I just want to know the alphabet. Don't ask why...Where are some good sites, or games, or something to help me memorize it? Which alphabet should I learn first?

Answer:


Hello.

Well, contrary to what most people will tell you there ARE some very powerful tricks you can use to learn the Japanese alphabets faster than just doing it through rote memorization.

First learn the Kana (Hiragana + katakana). Get a book like "Kana Pict-O-Graphix" or "Dr. Moku" in order to learn the Kana by using pictograms. You can also try a book called "Remembering The Kana", but the first ones are better in my opinion.

Then download a piece of software called Anki, which is free:
http://www.ankisrs.net
Use it to review the Kana.

Now, for learning the Kanji I suggest you check out this resource:
http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-learn-kanj…

Read it and follow the method outlined. It involves something much more powerful than just "memorizing stroke orders".

I wish you success! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment