Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A tattooed college professor in Japan?

Question:


I am going to be finished with graduate school in about two years and wanted to apply to work at some international schools (K-12) and international universities in Japan. I know that tattoos are generally considered taboo in Japan and I am afraid that having a visible tattoo will make finding and keeping a job difficult. I already have a cherry blossom on my foot (which is not visible when I wear shoes) but I am planning on getting another tattoo on my wrist. I used to live in Japan, so I am aware of the social stigma--would this also exist at an international school/university?

Answer:


Society does a pretty good job of creating stereotypes on people with tattoos when it really has no bearing on ones intelligence. I have been dealing with this my whole adult life since I have sleeves of tattoos. If you feel it's going to hinder you from progressing then just cover them up during work hours and let it loose during your off time. It is almost impossible to beat the stigma that has been placed upon us. Good luck! I also lived in Japan for 6 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment