Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I'm 16 and moving to Japan, some questions.?

Question:


Hi everyone. I'm 16 and currently live in New Hampshire, USA. I was born in Japan to Japanese passport holding parents. My mother is full Japanese and my father is 1/2- making me 3/4 Japanese blooded and 1/4 Irish.

My parents are unhappy with the high-school education in the USA and have decided to ship me off to japan for my last 2 years. I was accepted into a public Japanese school as I speak Japanese basically fluently. I'm sad about leaving my friends but excited at the same time. But I have some questions.

1. How will I be treated in japan? I don't really look white since I'm only 1/4 and I was born in japan- but do you think people will hold it against me that I've spent the last 13 years in the USA?

2. How will the adjustment from a USA high-school to Japanese high-school be?

3. Hows life there? I'm going to be in my old hometown Fukuoka.

4. Should I stay in japan for college as well or come back to the USA? I should apply to colleges this year to get a head start .. So what country is best? My parents said Japanese college is bad and that a USA degree is values everywhere whereas a Japanese degree is only valuable in japan, is that true?

5. Just any advise - please nothing rude I'm not just some anime freak going to japan. I am Japanese.

Answer:


Since you've been enrolled at a public high-school in Fukuoka, your Japanese comprehension must be good enough. And your way of thinking might have been influenced by your mom. That's very important/ an advantage to get oriented there.
And if you're not used to be called "Yuri", why don't you introduce yourself "Rosanne --> rozannu" which sounds lovely.

1. Bottom line is you should make yourself comfortable. Just be yourself. Show what you are. Being friendly and open-minded would make your school life easier.

2. You'll find them really group-minded. (e.g. a friend of mine who're raised in Europe, she was surprised to see girls even going to washroom in a group when she was sent to a Japanese junior-high school.)

3. I hope you know Fukuoka dialect..
I think Kyushu people are friendly and thoughtful, on the other hand, I have an impression that kyushu region is more conservative than big cities like Tokyo.

4. The decision Is yours...

Just "smile" You'll be fine.

*Note: In Japan school year begins in April, not in January.
-----------
ok, "before" the school stars. that makes sense, and it's great that your aunt/uncle are supposed to take care of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment