Thursday, August 4, 2011

JET Program Accommodations and Location Questions?

Question:


I know that JET sets up accommodations for you, but I know that you yourself pay the rent.

1.) So, does that mean that I could let a friend stay with me? Since I'm paying for it and all.

2.) If I decide that I don't like the apartment they have set up for me, and I move? Close to my school of course.

2.)I've heard that JETs sometimes get places in a guesthouse where you room with multiple people, but from what I read that's only in the city? Is that correct?

3.) Since I don't want to be placed in a big city, for example Tokyo, can I appeal to my want for the countryside?

4.) Has anyone who's worked with JET know how they choose location? Is it random? Or do they see where you'd thrive best?

Answer:


A lot of these questions can be answered if you ask the JET folks directly. There's also a very good JET related forum here:
http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewf…

1. What visa will your friend have for Japan? If it is subsidized housing, probably no.
2. Generally the JET program will attempt to put you near the schools you are helping at. But if you want to pay your own way then I don't see any reason, again ask JET.
2b. Many JETs are mostly placed outside the cities (with minor exceptions). The cities are mainly covered by private companies now.

3. NO, wherever JET Places you, you go. You can choose 3 "preferred locations" on your application, but the JET program works with the Board of Educations. If they say you go to B city and you don't want to go there, though luck then, you go there. It's clearly defined in the application process. If you don't want to go, you are out and they select a alternate to go in your place.

4. See the JET forum I linked above. Some get what they want, others close, others totally random.

No comments:

Post a Comment