Thursday, August 4, 2011

Work Exchange Program in Japan?

Question:


I really want to travel to Japan in an exchange program because it looks amazing. In the USA some businesses like water parks in Wisconsin Dells have programs where foreign kids come and work for them and they get paid and have free room and board. I could pay for my ticket but I really don't want to have to pay for room and board if I don't have to. I will only be 17 though when I could go (but I would be 18 on June 12!). I want to go in 2013 (so not for a while). It would also have to be during the summer because I would be going to college in the fall. I am pretty open to anything as long as I can make money (if I have to pay for room and board then the money I make would have to cancel out that cost and more). Thank you for helping me. I really appreciate it. (^_^)

Answer:


Minors (people under the age of 18) cannot work abroad.
If you're not already highly proficient in Japanese you will not be hired (or even considered) by any company outside of perhaps Tokyo Disneyland since, honestly, it's the only theme park in Japan I can think of where I have seen foreigners. The roles foreigners play are always just character roles where you are not expected to talk with anyone at the park anyway. You have to pass auditions to be hired, you have to be at least 18-years-old, you have to look and act like a character you're auditioning for, and you have to commit for at least six months.
All other jobs are going to require you to be able to speak Japanese because otherwise you will be useless. They will not want to hire a kid who can't understand the language of either his employers or customers. And since America does not have a work-holiday visa agreement with Japan you cannot go to work in Japan without having a job set aside for you beforehand anyway.

Ultimately, you're not going to find a comfy summer job in Japan. Especially when you're still a minor and you only want to work during the summer before school starts. If you want to visit Japan just get a job in the States, save your money, and have a holiday here before you start college.

No comments:

Post a Comment