Sunday, August 21, 2011

Someone give me advise..... what to do?

Question:


I need advise. I've been suffering from severe cystic acne for a few years now, and nothing is helping (please, don't start recommending me ProActiv etc..)..
I want to go abroad and teach in Korea or Japan, but I have severe acne and scarring, and this is the only thing that stops me from going....

What should I do? I have a degree... but no confidence. How can I teach kids with this face? :( :(

What should I do? Nobody can solve my problem, I tried all pills, potions, cremes. Will the ESL school not hire me? All of them are asking for a picture... :( I am so sad...............

Answer:


The Japanese will turn down Americans who don't have blond enough hair in some cases. Other people are less shallow, but yeah, Paige is saying what should be, not what is.

And you are talking as if your biggest problem would be getting hired. Think about what happens after you are hired. Depending on what school you go to and how much Japanese you know, you seem like you are going to be horribly self-conscious about your face.

Students occasionally will deliberately berate the teacher and find things they are sensitive about, and make up songs about you, and older kids will make jokes at a volume you can hear, and not care, because you're just the foreigner English teacher. In Japan, it's about 50/50 with teachers (who are not professionals, I mean new teachers fresh out of school)--about 50% completely hate it and fight with the kids, other teachers who are not sympathetic, and a principal who wants to get rid of you. The other half just kind of roll with the punches and once the kids see they cannot break him or her, they will get on pretty well. I've been both kinds of teacher. If you do go and the kids/other teachers (which is the crappiest part) give you a hard time, just remember every teacher gets it and there are no really wonderful specimens of female or male who end up teaching English in Japan. The kids would make fun of your taste in clothes if they couldn't make fun of your face. Your coworkers will (usually light-heartedly) make fun of your American mannerisms and gestures. So this is a big part of being a real teacher, especially ages 11-18, when the kids are old enough to mess with you, yet very insecure and looking for someone to pick on. (Not all the time, and if you are a good teacher, you will earn their respect very early in the game.) Best of luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment