Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Should I do a tour or go solo in Japan?

Question:


I am planning a trip to Japan at the end of next month, and I am having a little trouble. I was fully willing to pay my way there and I planned on backpacking through hostels for a few weeks. Then my parents offer to pay for the trip (as a college graduation present) if I joined a tour group instead of going on my own (they think its safer). This is obviously my decision in the end (im 21, male), but i was wondering what kind of experiences people had with Tours as opposed to solo? I'm thinking of taking them up on the offer for touring the first week, then going solo on my own for a week or so to see what I couldn't with the group. Any thoughts?

As for the tours, they take transportation costs into the price, but if I stay extra time I was planning on getting a JR pass so traveling the country would be cheaper, are tour groups willing to change some features in their tour package (remove traveling costs)?

At the end of each tour, they all say they will take you back to the airport (the ones im looking at all end in kyoto), think I would be allowed to just stay and pass on the taxi to the airport?

Answer:


Honestly, the tours are nice especially if you don't speak Japanese. They set up most of your accommodations and transportation for you, explain what you are seeing in English, help you if you are in trouble, and do all of it for less than it would cost you. That being said, there is the unpleasant stigma of walking around in a group snapping pictures following a woman holding up a flag. It is very touristy. But if you don't do it, you run the risk of getting lost and not actually getting to see the amazing places you wanted to.

I have only been on one tour and it was the first time I was ever in Tokyo, when I was 16, so it made sense. However, my best friend came to visit me in Japan a few years ago. She doesn't speak any Japanese and found the tours very helpful. She said it was also nice to have someone to experience those things with. So, I would probably do the tour if I were you. Maybe leave a day or two on the end of the trip to run around on your own (or choose a tour that has evenings open.)
www.jtb-sunrisetours.jp/

No comments:

Post a Comment