Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Would I manage in Japan, with my illness?

Question:


Hello

From what I have been told, the Japanese wouldn't be that bothered by visitors from other countries when they fail mildly to follow social rules, so long as they try.
But a couple of people don't think so.

I have autism (which is an illness that affects social skill judgment etc), and I am from the UK.
I do not know Japanese, but would take a phrase book and a translator and anything that may help.
I would have people go with me to help me as well, to prevent any arguments that could arise from misunderstanding and accidental social rule violations.

I know only the very simple things, like they take shoes off when you enter someone property.
I don't know if they expect people to bow down to them as visitors, I do not believe that visitors have to; but would obviously still be expected to be reasonably polite.
I know that they are however very polite to visitors and would most likely want me to say thank you and stuff.

But I want to go to Japan, because I am very interested by this place; as I am China.
I want to go to the cities and country, and to use the bullet train; and I have thought about eating some of their foods and stuff.
As for the sushi bars, I have a problem with their use of chemicals for medical reasons; and may have problems understanding any social rituals.

I have a medical condition with my heart, and if I manage to get rid of my illness; I want to go to Japan for around 3 weeks to enjoy my self and have some recreational time to recover from the fight to stay alive after treating my condition (if it is even possible). I feel I deserve a holiday.

How do you think I would cope here, especially with all the symptoms that go with autism?
Do you think that people in Japan would try and help me, and have understanding; or would they get rude and abusive because of my ability to do or understand anything they do?

CREED

Answer:


If you just want to visit Japan, there won't be much problem. I don't think they will help you much. But they won't bother you, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment