Wednesday, October 26, 2011

How do the Japanese view tourists?

Question:


Just wondering - are they generally kind people? Would they go out their way to help a tourist? Are they generous? And are their views on foreigners and tourists generally positive or negative?

Thank you.

Answer:


Yes, incredibly kind people.

Yes, I've had locals drive me to where I'm going after all I did was ask directions.

Yes, incredibly generous. I've had my entire dinner paid for just to practice English for an hour or two.

Yes, very positive.

*** A gaijin is anyone that is not Japanese. It means "foreigner". Right outside the gate of a large military base, you may encounter lower opinions of foreigners but its not hard at all to be 10 minutes away and not associated with the military. This is on mainland Japan. Things are a bit different on Okinawa as you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a US Military person.

No comments:

Post a Comment