Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hmm... Tokyo or Okinawa?

Question:


Hey there! I recently asked a question on whether or not I should move to Tokyo and what it's like moving there, but in the process of asking such a thing I found out several interesting things which then arose several more questions! Here they are!

1. Which would be easier to integrate into if I were to move to Japan, Okinawa or Tokyo? (Also which would be easier on the wallet? lol)

2. What's day to day life like in each area? How does it differ?

3. Any suggestions as how I could make integration into society there easier in any way? I've only ever lived in Canada my entire life and I know that both countries are very different in many ways so I'd like to have a basic understanding as to how much I would have to change in order to fit in there!

4. This isn't really that important but how much money should I save up before I even consider going on a vacation or even moving to one of these places? I don't really know what the conversion rate is for Canadian Dollars to Yen is nor do I know how much things would cost there in terms of that currency.


If you could answer one or all of these questions I'd be really grateful! Thank you! :)

Answer:


They are two opposites in many ways like comparing NY city to Hawaii.
You can imagine how they will be from these two(NY & Hawaii). Tokyo is busy, noisy, crowded but offers better opportunities.
Okinawa on the other hand, is semitropical, laid back, and away from everything.

1. Tokyo is easier to integrate, you won't stand out as much as in rural Japan- there are many foreigners. People for the most part leave you alone as oppose to smaller cities. Hard on wallet for housing but some goods are actually cheaper in Tokyo than Other parts of Japan because they are all shipped to Tokyo and dispersed to all over Japan.
There are many stores and fine restaurants very cheap in Tokyo by Japan's standard. Everything's expensive in Japan if you want to eat Western food and live in a big house or apartment and try to buy things with your currency exchanged to Yen. But if you live in Japan and earn Yen it's not as bad.

2. Tokyo is a city never sleeps, strangers don't greet, everything moves like clock work. The Okinawan smile more and friendlier but some are against English speaking foreigners because of some GI committed crimes and never got punished. Lots of Japanese people think all Caucasian foreigners are Americans, whether you are Canadian or European.

3.You don't have to change anything, just be courteous and you'll learn as you go. Ask your friends and associates any questions once you get there.

4. US$1.00 = 77 Yen You can get Canadian $ to US $ or just type in Yahoo Canadian $ to Yen conversion. I would save at least US$3,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment