Friday, November 18, 2011

Some help with Japanese telephone etiquette, please?

Question:


I applied to take part in a Japanese speech contest in London in February and have just received a phone call form the person who will be interviewing me.

When I had to hang up the phone while living in Japan - and just now, admittedly - I would say "失礼しました" before gently holding it away from my ear and waiting for the other person to hang up.

However, I sometimes wonder if this is the wrong way to go about things.

I assume there would be very strict rules for telephone conduct if you were working in Japan and that the rules would be different depending on if you were talking with a friend, a colleague, your boss and somebody who is giving you a job interview versus some other purpose.

I'd hate to find out that I'd been doing the wrong thing for all this time!

Many thnaks if you can help

Answer:


One of the most important things would be to take the pole out of your rear end before picking up the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment