Friday, November 18, 2011

Writing a letter to host family?

Question:


Hi, I want to write a short letter to my Japanese host family I stayed with.

How do I address them in the envelope? I need to use English but I know in Japanese You use "sama" but in English it's either Mr. or Ms or none at all.

Also, should I address it to my host mom or host dad? I am closer to my host mom but I was thinking Japan is patriarchal and my host dad may find it disrespectful to address it to host mom.

Or maybe I could just say, "Sakamoto Family" in the envelope?

Answer:


If you write their names in English, just use Mr. or something. You don't need to use sama in English.

On their dad or mom matter, you don't need to mind so much. Just write mom name and there won't be any problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment