Saturday, March 19, 2011

Information about Japan, please?

Question:


If I transfer to Japan over the summer, do I have to know Japanese, or is it to help me learn Japanese? I know a little bit of Japanese, but not enough to hold a conversation. Also, what is the poverty and literacy rate there? I've heard from people who have been to Japan that you can walk in the middle of the night in Tokyo and not be afraid of being mugged or anything. Is this true? Do all Japanese schools have uniforms? How pure os the air there? I know that where I live, it's quite humid and slightly polluted. I can't wait until I can get away from all of it. which place in Japan do you think is the best place to live? I have also heard that there is an island west of Japan that has many stray cats. I believe it was called.. Tashiro Island? Is that a nice place to live and is it part of Japanese territory?
Thank you for your responses! >.<

Answer:


Okay, lets go through your questions one by one.

>If I transfer to Japan over the summer, do I have to know Japanese, or is it to help me learn Japanese? I know a little bit of Japanese, but not enough to hold a conversation.

Don't worry, you will learn as you go. Most foreigners coming into Japan don't know any Japanese at all. It is a learning process and going to the country is the best way to learn a language. If you need something, you will learn the words to tell people.

>Also, what is the poverty and literacy rate there?

The literacy rate in Japan is nearly 100% as the school system is built in a way to teach Kanji, katakana and hiragana from a very young age. Mostly everyone can read the required kanji and write it too. As for poverty, you will see homeless people, but there is no poverty per se. There are no slums and extremely poor.

>I've heard from people who have been to Japan that you can walk in the middle of the night in Tokyo and not be afraid of being mugged or anything. Is this true?

Yes, that is true. There is a very low crime rate and mugging is nearly unheard of. Of course I have heard of purse snatchers on streets where you may be alone but you will never be mugged (beat up for cash). Also, rapes and murders to complete strangers are very very rare.

>Do all Japanese schools have uniforms?

All Junior High Schools and High Schools have uniforms. Elementary schools will sometimes and sometimes not have uniforms. Depends where you go.

>How pure os the air there?

Pretty clean. There are air standards in Japan and its pretty clear. Although some hot summer days the horizon may seem a bit hazy but nothing to worry about.

>I know that where I live, it's quite humid and slightly polluted. I can't wait until I can get away from all of it. which place in Japan do you think is the best place to live?

Depends where you like. Do you like the city? Then Tokyo. If you like the countryside, I would recommend Izu Peninsula in Shizuoka. If you like the warmth and countryside, I recommend Okinawa. If you like the warmth with some cities, I recommend Kyushu. If you like cool weather I would recommend Hokkaido.

>I have also heard that there is an island west of Japan that has many stray cats. I believe it was called.. Tashiro Island? Is that a nice place to live and is it part of Japanese territory?

I have never been there, but stray cats are pretty much EVERYWHERE in Japan. Especially Tokyo. You can't walk a kilometer without seeing a couple of cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment