Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Complex sentence structure in Japanese?

Question:


I've been studying Japanese for a bit, and have learned the basic sentence structure, along with using と as a conjunction. However, I'm having a bit of difficulty using sentences that, in English, have two verbs.

For example: I didn't know you knew Japanese... or: I didn't buy food because I don't have my wallet

Can anyone explain how to create these complex sentences?
ありがとうございます

Answer:


I didn't know you knew Japanese. 
あなたが にほんごを ごぞんじ(はなせる)とは しりませんでした。
I didn't buy food because I DIDN'T have my wallet.
さいふをもっていなかったので、たべものが かえませんでした。

If you are pointing at と(は) used above, that's 助詞 joshi which indicates word or phrase being defined.

I doubt if と in the first sentence is categorized in ”conujunction”.

No comments:

Post a Comment