Friday, June 17, 2011

Why won't my foreign debit/credit cards work in Japan?

Question:


I used my MasterCard debit card several days ago to withdraw money from a 24 hour 7/11 ATM and it worked fine. I went to use it again today and it wouldn't work. It wouldn't even give me the same options it gave me the other day. I tried another 7/11 ATM and had the same issue. I even tried my Visa credit card and it still wouldn't work. On top of that, my boyfriend tried his debit and credit cards as well and they wouldn't work either. We contacted the banks for each of our cards before leaving the US and they approved them for use abroad throughout the duration of our stay in Japan. There is apparently a 10 minute period from 11:55pm-12:05am during which MasterCards won't work, but that isn't applicable at 3:00 in the afternoon. I'm just really at a loss as to why foreign cards were accepted fine at these ATMs several days ago, but not accepted today. Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:


As you were able to withdraw cash, I would guess that the problem is with your bank. Can't speak for the US but in the UK I often hear about bank automated anti-fraud mechanisms kicking in even though people notified their bank in advance of their trip - contact your bank.

For others going to Japan - it is more cash based than the US or Europe, ATMs that work with foreign cards are not that common. see info under General Money here http://inblighty.com/country/advice.php?…

No comments:

Post a Comment