Saturday, June 25, 2011

Will Japanese girls give me the time of day?

Question:


FIRST let me say I'm not one of those innumerable creepy guys on here looking to go to Japan to get an easy lay. I'm from LA but I live and work in Asia for my job. I've lived in the Philippines for a year and Taiwan for 2, and am now being transferred to Japan. I don't have some Asian fetish or anything, my past girlfriends are Asian simply because I live in ASIA.

OK now that my disclaimer is out of the way, I've found myself having a hard time dating abroad. In the Philippines, the girls I dated saw dollar signs and wanted marriage immediately (scary), and in Taiwan, the girls were only interested in trying me out for a month or two like a novelty prize (fun, but that gets old too).

Are women in Japan receptive to foreigners? Or is it likely they will similarly treat a western guy like a temporary play thing / sugar daddy? I just want a normal girlfriend, and the thought of going on one of those "American Expat" match sites makes me want to jump off Taipei 101...

PS My work is with an architecture firm, in case you were wondering; and I'm 25 and probably an 8/10, if that holds any relevance.

Answer:


You don't mention your Japanese skills. No Japanese skills reduces the pool size.

There's the gaijin bar scene, though that doesn't sound like what you are looking for. The match making services, well, I don't know anything about them, but for a Japanese girl looking for a foreign guy? They could go to the gaijin bars, and well you get my point. You never know.

I had an Iranian friend who met his wife on a train, so random contact is not impossible. I met my wife on a Caribbean beach by just walking up and saying 'Hi'.

There's always the chance of meeting someone at work.

EDIT: Eunce has it backwards. Much more common to see a foreign guy with a Japanese woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment