Saturday, July 16, 2011

How much money should I anticipate bringing with me for one year of studying abroad?

Question:


I will be studying in Tokyo, Japan next Fall and Spring semester (2012-2013).

I am looking to find out how much to bring for my own personal spending, and how much to bring to buy myself food and necessities on a daily basis (shower gel, shampoo/conditioner, laundry detergent, etc.). Like I said, I will be there for one year (it's from the middle of September to early August).

Thanks for your help/insight =)

Answer:


Assuming housing, gas, electricity, etc is covered, I think you will need at least $400 a month (about 40 000 yen). You can have a a little fun and eat healthy food for $400.

If housing and utilities aren't covered then about $1000 (10 000 yen) a month.

I had very little money my first year in Japan (I was working, but my pay was low due to a loan I got when I first arrived. I could get by on $1000 a month including rent and utilities.

My recommendation: Bring a year's supply of toiletries. Don't go shopping or eat out too often. There will be lots of opportunities to travel and go to drinking parties. Set monthly limits on how much you spend on entertainment each month. Learn how to cook rice and go to the super market after 6 pm. That is when the deli food, including sushi, is discounted.

No comments:

Post a Comment