Friday, July 29, 2011

Little Jumping Spiders?

Question:


Since the weather has turned warm and its started to rain often I've been finding these small black and light brown spiders that instead of crawling they mostly jump from one spot to the other. . .they aren't very big but they aren't tiny either and they are kindof compact (legs aren't spread out far from its body)

they really freak me out to no end. . .so i'd like to more about them. . .I come from Dover, Delaware in the US and I've never seen a spider jump or even one bigger than the width of a toothbrush.

Have you found them in your place? what kind of spider is it? anything else?

Answer:


Yes actually I have.

I live in Wisconsin and one day while picking up my little brothers room i found two. They were brown, "compact" as you say, and they jumped.

I think it might be the "Phidippus audax"
It's the most common household jumping spider.
Pic
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Phidippus…
Obviously an extreme close up

"Jumping spiders commonly reside near doorjambs and windowsills."

Wikipedia says "The average size of adults ranges from roughly 13 to 20 mm in length."
That sounds about the size of the ones I found in my brothers room.

I also found this "This species is common in southeastern Canada, most of the United States and parts of northern Central America, and has been introduced to Hawaii and the Nicobar Islands."

Hope this helped and that's the spider your talking about (:

No comments:

Post a Comment