Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Are japanese akitas good with babys?

Question:


I've got a 6month old baby and just woundering if it is safe to have a japenese akita as a family pet.

Answer:


Well, they are a dog first and a breed second. They're basically a big Shiba and I don't like those dogs. Most of the Shibas I have seen are somewhat to rather aggressive with strangers. My in-laws Shiba is extremely aggressive. My mother-in-law has had about 15 stitches and he has bitten everyone in the family. But it is a lack of leadership that leads to the aggressive behavior usually. I took the dog for two months, had him under control though still not what I would call a loving dog, sent him back to the in-laws and because they didn't follow through, the dog was back to his old self quickly. Most Japanese dog owners don't control their dogs. They don't walk the dogs, the dogs walk them. An Akita isn't a dog to have under conditions like that.

All that being said, if you have raised dogs before, know how to train them and are going to be an attentive, watchful owner then an Akita might be okay. They are supposedly good with family members, though are known for being aggressive toward other, particularly smaller, dogs.

But there is no way I would want one. Don't find them particularly attractive and really don't like the Shiba's general personality. And a child would make it a total no-no for me.

Google Akita and read about them. They don't sound too bad. But before you buy one, check out a few people who own Shibas and see what you think of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment