Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Teaching English in Japan?

Question:


My friend and I are 21 years old and very interested in the Japanese culture. The food, the sense of respect, the entertainment, the language, and the police force (don't get me started on Japan's police force. I strongly believe that US cops should take a trip to Japan and learn a few things). We both are interested in teaching English in Japan, which could give us to ability to take in the culture in a way that a normal two week trip never could, without breaking the bank since we'd be making some money along the way. I've been doing some research, but I still have a few unanswered questions.

I'm starting my sophomore year in college to be an English teacher/professor (haven't decided which yet), while my friend hasn't had any schooling past High School. Without a college degree will she still be eligible to teach in Japan? If not, what can she do to become eligible? And for me, is English (not as a language, but as in writing, reading, and grammar) as my major going to aid me in finding a good teaching job in Japan?

From the research I've been doing on teaching in Japan, I can tell that people mainly do so through several large corporations. The contracts set up tend to include (from what I can tell), an adequate wage, boarding, and some time off. About this, I have a few concerns/questions.

Is there a way to choose your own housing set up? Like, get a little more in wages, but rent out a place for yourself? These companies tend to strictly dictate your lesson plan. Is there any way to teach abroad with a little more control over your class' learning environment? Also, from what I'm told, these companies tend to treat their English teachers like garbage. Is any one company known for treating their teachers well/better than the other companies. Is it possible to safely teach in Japan without going through one of these huge companies at all?

If you've read through this monster of a question, thank you very much. I really appreciate any and all information about teaching English in Japan. Thank you!

Answer:


Hi, good to see a young person with not only enthusiasm, but some sense of reality. Most people in your situation ask this question with no game plan and no idea how to make it happen. So good on you.

Unfortunately, your friend is going to need some more schooling for most jobs, and indeed, to get a work visa.

Also, maybe when you are looking from the USA/foreign country, all you see are big companies, but once you are here, you will find lots of different opportunities that do not dictate lesson plans at all. I had to write my own textbook for one school I taught in, and when you are teaching private lessons, you will have total control as long as the student doesn't request a certain curriculum.

If you are a serious teacher, first of all, awesome, there are not enough of those around here, second of all, stay away from "McEnglish" cookie-cutter schools. You will want to go into the JET program or at least Interac, so that you are working in a school. It really depends on the individual school, however I guarantee you will have 1000 times more freedom if you can communicate in Japanese. This should be a top priority, and living in Japan, you can have fun while learning.

Also, about moving to Japan in general. Let me say that I think people coming alone is the best. I understand you have a good friend, and you imagine how fun it would be to travel with her. However I think living in a foreign culture is a very personal thing, and when I see couples (usually boyfriend/girlfriend, or just friends,) the trend is one is really enthusiastic about Japan and one is just kind of going through the motions. This leads to conflict and can screw up an otherwise enjoyable stay. Besides, being on your own forces you to make friends along the way and adapt to the culture on your own terms. But that's just my opinion. I don't think that is set in stone or anything. Since your friend hasn't had school, maybe you could go before her and when she's done with school, show her the ropes.

Lastly, research all angles. Read about experiences of teachers, but take it with a grain of salt: most teachers of English from UK, USA, Canada, A/NZ, etc. do not like teaching English and complain, blaming Japan for their problems. So when they say "Japanese teachers are morons," it's because they've never tried to understand them in the context of Japanese society. (Some are morons though lol, and mostly they won't try to understand you in the context of your native culture, but that's just the way it goes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment