Friday, August 19, 2011

How can you work in japan with a felony?

Question:


I have a drug related felony in which I served no jail time when I was 18 and cannot get it expunged. I am 30 now and have been to Japan 7 times but I do not disclose that I was arrested before. What kind of background check do they do? Do they have the Japanese consulate at here check it via NCIS or how do they administer this? I know they fingerprint now and I am sure they are checking for other things not felony records in the US....I am almost 1000000 % sure they do not have those records. Also what companies do not administer background checks? Is it up to the company to do that kind of check if I do not disclose? Also, how do they check if you are single or married when you fill out your certificate of eligibility or do they check?

Answer:


This question has been asked before. Various responses come back.

1- Times have been changing since 9/11 and it would be much easier for your little secret to come out. You'll have to worry about Immigration finding out as part of their investigation when issuing a visa and also any background check the company does. My guess is that the former is much more likely to turn something up because the latter check often is left undone.

2- I don't know the exact procedure that would take place if you were found out after having been issued a visa. But false statements on visa applications would count seem to count as fraud. You would almost certainly be leaving the country and most likely be a guest of the government in a jail cell for a while before that happened.

3- Your question about married or single makes it sound as if you might be planning to deceive the Immigration on yet another issue. This is not a good way to make a start in Japan. Plus, once again, if you get caught and are found to have lied about both your criminal record and your marital status, the volume of air being sucked through teeth is going to increase quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment