Friday, August 19, 2011

Paying previous year's nenkin?

Question:


I came to Japan last year as an English teacher and am now currently working a different job at a company. I did not pay Japanese nenkin as a teacher, and currently nenkin is not being deducted from my paycheck at my current job. (This'll probably change soon since I've let them know it hasn't been deducted from my check.)

Am I obligated to pay nenkin for the months I did not pay? (If yes, how would I pay and how much would it be?) Are there any repercussions to not paying? I am American and while I'd like to stay in Japan for as long as possible, I am not sure of my future plans.

Answer:


>Am I obligated to pay nenkin for the months I did not pay?

I don't think you are obliged to pay.

>Are there any repercussions to not paying?

You can receive pensions after you become 65 if you have paid nenkin for more than 300 months. If you did not pay 300 months, you just can't receive pension. And the amount depends on the total amount of paid money. So the more, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment