Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Japanese traditional art writing?

Question:


I noticed that in almost any traditional Japanese there is something written in the upper right corner. I'm planning on painting something themed with Japanese tradition on the wall in my room so I planned on writing something like those writings so I was wondering what does it say and why is it there? And what would be the best way to choose my writing?

Answer:


If it's in red what you're seeing, then that's the calligrapher's signature or hanko (name) stamp. I would suggest taking your name and trying to find kanji that either fit the pronunciation of your name, or kanji that are a translation of the meaning of your name. Or you can simply use the alphabet for foreign words (katakana) and directly translate your name. There are plenty of name sites that can help you with that.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment