Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Will a BS in Chemistry do me any good in Japan?

Question:


I am working on a BS in chemistry and a minor in Japanese. I have plans of moving to Japan when I am done with my bachelors in chemistry and working on my phD in Chemistry. I really wanna move to Japan for several personal reasons- and finish my education there. But I wanted to know, what are the chances of me getting a good paying job in japan with a BS in chemistry (and a minor in Japanese)? Will it be hard, because I wanna move there directly after I graduate. Please give me detailed advice on what good a BS in chemistry will do me in Japan (if it will do me any good)- and how it will be like finding a job related to my job (I dont wanna teach English but will if it comes down to it). By the way, I speak very fluent Japanese.

Answer:


I have a degree in chemistry, but it was my physics background that got me my first job here. But that didn't keep the economy from going to hell in a handbasket and so now I teach English. I had one interview for a job related to chemistry but the pay wasn't enough to justify the switch from teaching English.

For the most part, if a Japanese person can do the job then the Japanese applicant is going to come out ahead. Discrimination? In view of the economic situation here, I see no reason not to want to take care of your own citizens first.

Good luck but I don't that that dog is gonna' hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment