Thursday, August 25, 2011

No degree = no job in Japan?

Question:


I live in the UK and I am fortunate enough to be graduating next year. I have been sponsored to teach English in Japan, I have secured my employment contract. My boyfriend will also be moving to Japan with me on a Holiday Working Visa but I am a little concerned as he does not have a degree. We have both been studying Japanese for 2 years and both have a years' experience on TEFL. However, we've been looking for jobs for my partner and it seem that if you have no degree you can't get work anywhere!
Could anyone possibly advise if either a) it is even possible to get work in Japan without a degree
or b) if an income of 170,000 per month will be able to cover living costs for two people [topping up the £1500 min we already have in the bank from our departure date]

I would be extremely grateful for any response.

Answer:


Well, if he's got WHV, he can work in Japan. But if he does not speak Japanese, his option is severely limited. But he may have some jobs in "physical labor" like moving, working at a factory, etc.

>b) if an income of 170,000 per month will be able to cover living costs for two people

Where in Japan would you live? In fact, 170,000 is little even for 1 person. You may be able to manage it if you live in countryside. But it's really hard in Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment