Sunday, August 28, 2011

What are some pro's and con's of living in japan?

Question:


I'm an American college student who plans on studying abroad in Japan in the field of computer graphics and animation. Honestly this kind of scares the hell out of me because I've never even been there. I'm currently in classes for the language and culture in an attempt to not be the ignorant foreigner. but I would like to know (preferably from people who have stayed in japan before) what's it actually like?

By the way I'm sure some of you are going to give me answers based on Anime you have seen; however, Anime is fictional and therefore probably not relevant to what I'm asking.

Answer:


Sorry to tell you this, but I don't think you will be studying abroad in Japan for those subjects. I work at a Japanese university, and I am not aware of any university in Japan which will offer those in English. You will need native level Japanese to tackle the courses. Expect to spend 8 hours a day, 6 days a week for 18 months to 2 years studying Japanese intensively before you can tackle those types of courses.

Japan itself is a nice place to live overall. Where I am is a bit out in the country, and is very peaceful, but central Tokyo can be intense. Very safe, and if you find a social group, very fun, but also expensive, hot in summer, and it can be stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment