Sunday, August 28, 2011

Will my tattoos be allowed at an Onsen?

Question:


I am planning a trip to Japan (likely Tokyo) later on in the year. I have been told that tattoos are forbidden because of the Yakuza. However, I'm obviously a foreigner.
I have 7, to be exact. A small flower on my left ankle, a biohazard symbol on my left calf, a small cross on the left side of my chest, a sakura blossom and petals on the right side of my neck, my name in runes in a band on my right arm, a broken heart and cross chainsaws (like a skull and crossbones) on my left shoulder, and a large black tribal dragon on my entire left forearm.
These are all obviously not concealable, since the majority of them are covering birth marks and scars.
Would these still be permitted? IF not, how will I still be able to enjoy an Onsen while being myself and not offending anybody?

Answer:


It depends on the place. I have heard of foreigners with tattoos being asked to leave. It largely depends on the place. You would be best advised to get a private bath with your friends, if possible.


Threeday; Private (or family) onsens are very common in many onsen resorts. I have probably had more than half a dozen, although i normally go to the public baths.

No comments:

Post a Comment