Sunday, September 11, 2011

How would I write this Japanese address in English characters (or Romaji)?

Question:


I have a friend who lives in the Chitose area in Hokkaido, Japan, and I want to send him a letter for his birthday. He gave me his address, but I don't know how to write it in English characters.

Here is his address, but the numbers are shown as "X" to protect his privacy.
北海道千歳市福住X丁目XX-X
Zip code XXX-XXXX

How would I write his address in English characters? (Or Romaji--for example:
北海道=Hokkaido--like that)

Please use the address I put in this question, so I know exactly what to write. Thank you!

Answer:


You can write it like this:

X-XX-X Fukuzumi
Chitose-shi, Hokkaido
JAPAN XXX-XXXX

Simply add his name to the top and replace 丁目 with a hyphen as I did above. If he has an apartment number, add it anywhere on the second line.

As long as that information is on the envelope it should arrive at its destination no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment