Tuesday, October 25, 2011

If Japanese say you look "majime", is that good or bad?

Question:


I know that "majime" means serious, diligent, etc. I've been told recently that my style of dress makes me look majime. I guess it's my usage of button up shirts, cardigans, sweaters, etc. while most of the other American exchange students use t-shirts and jackets.

Is this a good or bad thing? Saying someone looks serious is kind of a weird compliment in English.

Answer:


Yeah, I know "you look serious"(in English) cannot be a compliment.

"majime" used in your situation means close to:
buttoned-up
clean-cut
crisp
neat
trim
straight

which is not bad, actually. And people menat you didn't look like a slouch.

But "majime" sometimes include:
boring
teacher-like
a little nerd-like

*I think how you say it matters.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment