Friday, November 25, 2011

What would be the best direction for me to do if I want to live and work in Japan?

Question:


Ever since I was a kid it's always been my dream to live and work in Japan. I love the Japanese culture and I have visited Japan twice. Both times I felt like not coming back to the United States. Alright, let me tell you about my situation as of right now. And I would like to know your personal opinion about what you think I should do.

I'm 23 years old. Single and no kids. I'm currently in the military right now. In October 2012 I will be going to my next station. When my orders are up I'm going to request to go to Japan for October 2012. If I get Japan I will be stationed there until May of 2015 (which is when I get out of the military). My plan is to go back to school on the military base and do as much education as I can. My goal is to get out of the military with an Associates. I found a university in Japan (called Asia Pacific University) and they accept the GI Bill. I want to go to school there and start using my GI Bill for a Bachelors. The good thing about Asia Pacific University is that it's an "English Friendly" environment. So all courses are in English. But, I still want to take a course for the Japanese language.

LANGUAGE: As far as language. I actually speak 2 languages. I speak English of course and I also fluent Spanish. Since I am not a school at the present time. I'm actually taking Rosetta Stone Japanese. I know enough to have a simple (not fluent) conversation. But, I'm still learning with each lesson that I take. It would even be better for me if I get stationed in Japan because I will be there for 3 years and I personally believe that the best way to learn a language is to be in the middle of that country where you are forced to learn it. So, with these factors I will have knowledge of the language before I take an actual college Japanese language courses. I am determined to make Japanese my 3rd language.

My question is. What do you think I should major in? I do want to go back to school in general and get my degree. But, what would be the best career for me to get into and to start? What would be the best direction for me to do? Please let me know what your opinion (and of course it's just your opinion) is of what I should do.

Answer:


Glad to see you have a plan and goals. But what if you don't get stationed in Japan?

Is it possible to work as a civilian on the base in Japan after you leave the military? You'd have a headstart as I think you get 10 extra points towards the job hiring process for being a vet plus you can speak Japanese and your time in the service counts towards retirement.

As far as degree goes get it in WHAT YOU ENJOY DOING! I know too many people/friends who chose a major for money or usefulness but hate their job.

I think the odds of you graduating from University in Japan and hoping to compete with the vast amount of Japanese college grads in hiring season could be rough. Based on what I see now though things can change in 7 years or so.

Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment