Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Would you pursue commercial fishing in Alaska (5yrs experience) or take a job teaching English in Japan?

Question:


I'm at a massive crossroads and just can't decide which fork to take. I worked my way through college working on commercial fishing boats in Alaska in the summers. Now that I've graduated (English degree), I'm having massive trouble decided which direction to go. My immediate options are to pursue commercial fishing, or teach english in Japan.
-Commercial fishing: 5 yrs of experience and new opportunities now presenting themselves for more winter/summer work. Might want to get my own boat one day...
-Teaching in Japan: Would be teaching little kids at a private language school in Japan. Would just about break even on money. Would love to live in this culture, but I worry that it's a stopgap, and doesn't take me down a career path.
I'm 26. I know no one can make this decision for me. But still, I'm just curious what the random internet community thinks!

Answer:


Since you'd like to experience Japan, go for it. One year out of your life will not be a stopgap. You will have a life-enriching experience; learn a lot about another culture, about teaching EFL, and about teaching EFL to kids, and you will gain a lot of experience with kids, sure to come in handy when you're a Dad. Your horizons will expand a great deal if you go to Japan. Usually contracts are for a year, so what's the big deal? Go to Japan, then after a year, you can hit the ground running back home if you still want to be a commercial fisherman.

By the way, the commercial fishing industry is HUGE in Japan as you can imagine. Be sure to go to Tsukiji Fish market (early) in Tokyo, one of the epicenters of the fishing industry in Japan, and an absolutely fascinating place, and go out on some fishing boats and see for yourself what it's like in Japan. I went out on a flying-fish boat in the south, and it was so amazing. We ate raw fish that had been swimming in the ocean 10 minutes ago. The fishing industry is so efficient and all-encompassing in Japan, maybe you'll learn a few things.

No comments:

Post a Comment