Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I'm traveling to Japan....?

Question:


I'm traveling to Japan...

and I have SO many questions!!

Info about the trip:

I'm going either in spring of next year or in June. I don't speak japanese. I don't know exactly what cities I am traveling to yet but I know I am definitely going to Tokyo and Kyoto.

My questions:

What are fun things to do/see in Japan?
What are interesting cities besides Kyoto and Tokyo for foreigner's?
What are good places to eat?
Some useful phrases for getting around?
Anything fun to do in Chiba?
What are some important manners you need to have in Japan?
Anything Special happening in April or June?
Where to buy cute clothing/Accessories?

I know it's a lot of questions..I hope you can answer some for me. Thanks in advance!

Answer:


I would like to recommend a wonderful site where you can find pretty much all the information you need and more:

www.japan-guide.com/

I highly recommend it, it's very well done.

EDIT:

Here are some personal recommendations:

What are fun things to do/see in Japan?
In my opinion:
1) Visit Kamakura (traditional district in Tokyo)
2) Get into Tokyo Tower (for the view) and perhaps SkyTree tower (it's a new, higher tower)
3) Shibuya crossing (at day and night, very impressive to see how crowded it is!)
4) Odaiba and Rainbow bridge (especially at night)
5) Try a karaoke box and an Internet cafe (very high tech, quite impressive)
6) Visit the Akihabara district (electric town), and go to a maid cafe there
7) Visit Kiyomizu temple (famous temple in Kyoto)
8) Sleep in a ryokan in Kyoto (traditional hotel where you sleep on tatami mat and take public baths)
9) Try onsen (hot spring, a must, really)

What are interesting cities besides Kyoto and Tokyo for foreigner's?
In my opinion, these two are more than enough. Especially since there are so many things to do in Tokyo (see above). One thing you might consider if you plan to visit these two cities (as opposed to just stay in Tokyo), is to buy a JR Pass. Just the cost of the trip between Tokyo and Kyoto (by bullet train (shinkansen)) is almost equal to the price of this pass. This pass is only available for tourists and allows you unlimited travel within Japan. But don't buy it if you plan to stay in Tokyo. Transportation in Japan can get really expensive!

What are good places to eat?
1) Forget McDonald's please
2) Yoshinoya (cheap rice bowl with beef or pork, very famous)
3) Kaitenzushi (sushi restaurants where sushi plates move on a conveyor belt and you pick the plates you are interested in, very cool)
4) Eat sashimi (raw fish) and shrimp tempura at a traditional Japanese restaurant
5) Ramen (noodles and soup) shop (cheap)
6) Curry rice (my favourite place is called CoCo Ichiban-ya)

Some useful phrases for getting around?
In Tokyo, you can get by in English quite easily, just ask your directions to young people and business men in suits and you shouldn't have any problem. Always say thank you to people, be courteous at all times and smile, they will really appreciate it. Thank you is arigato gozaimasu.

Anything fun to do in Chiba?
I'm not so familiar, but there is at least Tokyo DisneyLand.

What are some important manners you need to have in Japan?
Always say thank you to people, be courteous at all times and smile. If for a reason you get angry, try to keep it for yourself and try not showing it. Stay calm and discrete. You can bow slightly each time you say thank you.

Anything Special happening in April or June?
In April, I think there is cherry blossom viewing (o-hanami). In Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, the cherry blossom season typically takes place in early April. Also, the weather is much nicer in April. In June, it starts to get a little too hot and humid. And there is the rainy season around June too, so be careful.

Where to buy cute clothing/Accessories?
You get me here. I think the Harajuku district in Tokyo has a lot of shops for clothes and it is quite popular among young Japanese people.

No comments:

Post a Comment