Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Japanese people are so nice that...?

Question:


If you know someone that has or if you have lived in Japan, what are some experiences that proved to you Japanese people are way too nice. Can be funny and exaggerated. Need some examples for a presentation.

Answer:


a "thousand times better than Americans."

This is not an open-and-shut case. I've lived in Japan for ten years and I am from America. In America, there is a range from "complete ******" to "ridiculously nice." Like in a shop at the beach in North Carolina last year, my five year old broke a $30.00 glass ornament. As I went to pay for it, the teenager, who was a stoner/surfer type, said, "Dude, don't worry about it. No big deal."
Or when I worked at the movie theater, there is a woman who had high blood pressure and would always make me make a whole freaking huge batch of popcorn with no salt in it, which is a lot of work for just one lady. But I would see her in line, and she'd wave, and I would make that popcorn for her. One time she gave me a $10 tip.
That story doesn't prove that I'm a nice guy (I'm not,) it just proves that in customer service, Americans aren't as polite, but when it comes meeting the needs of individuals and going against convention, Americans are better. Some convenience store workers will tell you what a cute baby you have, or will tell you not to get the chicken fingers because they're old. Those kinds of things don't happen in Japan.

Japanese culture forces a kind of formality on everyone, which gives usually polite customer service, assuming you are an average customer. If you expect them to do things differently than they normally do, they will tell you "no." Like try making a overseas transfer of funds from a bank that doesn't usually do it. (however it says "we do overseas transfers" on the window.) Then the service goes downhill quick.

When it comes to people, Japanese are polite at work or people they have to impress. In public, as well, they generally adhere to the strict Japanese rules of politeness. However how often do you see a pregnant woman forced to stand up on the train because young men and women read on the cell phones and pretend she isn't there. Or people pretend to be asleep to not notice the old woman who can barely stand dropping her groceries.

How about a lost child in the middle of the mall? Screaming and yelling? Hundreds of people walked by and ignored the kid who was saying "I can't find my mama" in Japanese. It was me, the gaikokujin, who called a starbucks employee out to stand with the kid and notify security.
______________________________________…
However there is uncommon niceness as well. Here is my story:

I bought a ticket from the station ticket vending machine. There were a bunch of "yanki:" kind of street-gang types, long dyed hair, earrings, smoking cigarettes, some in high school outfits, making a lot of noise, looking for chicks, generally up to no good.
"Ah, gaijin ja," they were saying about me, as I picked up my ticket and left. Oh, great. I thought. They want to start some shxt with me. "OI GAIJIN!" one said as I walked away with my ticket. What a bunch of a=holes I though, and briskly walked through the shopping mall in the station. But they were following me. I knew it was best to ignore them, because even if I win the fight, I will go to jail. "Mister Gaijin" and "Hey Boy," they shouted as a walked off, putting on my headphones to listen to some music. At that point one of the boys ran up to me, having chased me nearly a kilometer through the station, and gave me the 2000 yen or so I had left in the machine. "Tsuri wasureta yo! Ki wo tsukete gaijin-san," he said, laughing.
I felt embarrassed for assuming they were punks, and thanked them all for it. At that time, I though how many American high school student would chase a man down to return to him $20, when it would have been easier to just keep the money and the man wouldn't have noticed.

So there is uncommon niceness and especially honesty and very little theft. impressive

No comments:

Post a Comment