Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I'm looking for a really good electronic Kanji dictionary?

Question:


As a Japanese major in college I feel it would be a good investment to buy a really good electronic Kanji dictionary. I have been looking around online and I'm not too sure which one are truly going to be worth it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Oh and price doesn't matter I just want something good and worth it. Thank you =)

Answer:


I own an EX-Word Dataplus 5 XD-A8500. When I bought it it was on sale so price might be different now, but it comes with a lot of very nice features. It has a bottom screen for writing kanji, the top screen is a touch-screen, it also has a voice feature, jump function (good for looking up unknown words you find when looking up something else already), and the additional features are quite varied. It contains 300 works written in Japanese and 100 from across the globe in English (like Oliver Twist and Anna Karenina) as well as travel phrases for many languages in case you ever go to a place other than Japan. Most of the people I know have an EX-Word of some kind or another. You have a microSD card slot and usb connector for the computer so you can update and download new things from their website as well.

Since you want this for kanji you really need to make sure you have a spot on the dictionary where you can write to look up words, and then a jump feature to let you go from Japanese to English, English to Japanese, or even Japanese to Japanese and English to English. It helps a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment