Tuesday, May 3, 2011

If [共有したい秘密があります] means "There is a secret I want to share," then...?

Question:


what if, instead of the verb [共有する] being in the tai-form, it is in the diction form, and the sentence becomes, [共有する秘密があります], wouldn't the meaning change to "There is a secret which likes to share"?

Now I know meaning of the second sentence sounds a little weird, but grammatically, it should be correct right?

Recall that "relative clause" modifies nouns, and in Japanese, it sits in front of a noun, and correct me if I'm wrong, the verb MUST be the DICTION FORM. For example:

There is a girl who eats - 食べる女の子があります。

ok, for the sake of my attempt to clarify what i'm asking, i will use the verb "to share" which is 共有する.

now if I say:
共有する女の子があります, then the meaning of this sentence is "There is a girl who shares".

now what if I change the diction verb to tai-form:
共有したい女の子があります。 Then is the meaning of this sentence "There is a girl WHO wants to share" or "there is a girl whom I (ME, MYSELF) want to share"

Do you see the difference meaning of each sentence? the first sentence means it is the GIRL who do the sharing, not me. And the second sentences means it is ME MYSELF that do the sharing.

after I do a comparison of the two sentences,
共有したい秘密があります
and
共有したい女の子があります

I thought that it would mean "there is a whom I want to share." But if this true, then how do I say that there is something/someone which/who wants to do something?

say, There is a girl who wants to share?

p.s, please look back at your rely. I might add some details. Thanks in advanced!

Answer:


There is a cow which eats (something を)食べる牛がいます。

There is a cow which wants to eat (somethingを)食べたがっている牛がいます。


There is a cow which I want to eat 私が食べたい牛がいます。

共有する秘密があります。 there is a secret which we share. (We have shared)

共有したい秘密があります。there is a secret I would like to share. (We do not share at the moment)

No comments:

Post a Comment