Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A question for Japanese teens...?

Question:


How would your parents react if you dated someone who is not Japanese? Just curious.

Answer:


I have dated boys who are not Japanese; and, to be honest, my parents didn't really care. Of course, my father himself married an American woman, so I'm "half Japanese"... But my father, honestly, is very far from being Americanized. He's proud to be Japanese. But when it comes to love, as he sees it, race doesn't matter. That's the way he went about marrying my mother, and my parents have always told me the same. Even if it's childish, teenage "love"- I don't care about where one is from. I care about that person as an individual.

This is just how I was raised. My current boyfriend, for instance, is Korean-Chinese. But we (my family and I) don't see him as Korean-Chinese. We see him as human. Labels don't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment