Sunday, August 14, 2011

Being relocated to Japan for my dad's job--?

Question:


While I'm sure it will be a change of pace, well... I really dislike seafood. I'm a picky eater in general, though... So, well, I'm wondering if they have a lot of restaurants (namely in the city-- Shibuya to be precise) that serve food from other countries (i. e. Italian food). I'm fairly sure they do, but I would sincerely appreciate confirmation on that.

Of course in the end I'll have to just suck it up and get used to it, but it'd be nice to have the options.

Thank you ^^

Answer:


There's lots of other foods available.

They have American fast food joints and yes, they have Italian places as well. It's strange though because everything has their own twist. (One time an Italian dish I ordered was covered in American flags. Perhaps they thought Pizza came from America?) Personally I only tried Japanese pizza twice at two different places before I decided I didn't like it. It was very flat/thin and it seemed to me that they didn't put tomato sauce between the bread and cheese.... The pasta is usually delicious though!

If you're at a hotel, they often have a few different buffets. A Chinese food one, an American food one, Japanese food one etc etc

They do have Mcdonalds which really isn't so different, just that the portions are smaller. KFC which also isn't so different, but the prices are ridiculous (The only one I saw was in Akihabara so that could be it...)

Shibuya is a rather expensive place to eat at as well, I never spent much time there. I recall there being...A cake shop near the scramble across from the station, a starbucks, a sweet shop in Harajuku, a crazy crepes place there as well and I recall a barbeque joint food stand.
There were resturaunts there of course, and I'm sure they served a whole bunch of delicious foods such as meats and pasta, but I didn't have that kind of money. XD There was a big food markect underneath the station as well.

Perhaps consider taking a train elsewhere if you like resturants? As you get comfortable and start to explore more you'll find yourself developing favorite spots.
Mine was this little ramen joint that gave HUGE portions and a lot of meat for a great price~
Generally though when I was in big cities like Tokyo I just got my food from stands and didn't sit down and eat in a restuarant.

No comments:

Post a Comment