Sunday, August 14, 2011

What does this mean (translate Japanese word/phrase)?

Question:


I was watching a tv show,
and I was wondering what "イタイ人” means.
Obviously, if it was translated literally, it means a hurt person,
but it has another meaning right?
Like the person used it in the sentence, "才能がなかったらめっちゃイタイ人だと思う。”
I know what the sentence means other than the phrase "イタイ人," so there is no need for you to translate the whole sentence, I'm just giving this as an example of how it was used.

Can someone please explain"イタイ人" to me? (preferably a native Japanese speaker).
If you don't know what it means please don't answer. 
Thanks in advance.

Answer:


イタイ means shameful, embarrassing, etc in Japanese slang.

"才能がなかったらめっちゃイタイ人だと思う。”
He's a shameful man if he does not have talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment