Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Is it true that the Japanese generally strongly dislike Americans?

Question:


Background story:

I am looking for a language to learn, and I thought Japanese would be cool because the language itself is fascinating, Japan's history is quite interesting, as well as its literature, people, culture, and modern technological advances.

But then... I thought, well, I don't really want to be like all those manga-obsessed people who go to Japan town, get cute fluffy pink overload, and want to learn Japanese as a part of some fad that seems to be going around lately. (well, at least with kids my age around me. It's like the new "cool" thing). But I thought I'd go against that and try to learn it anyway.

----------------
But... then I heard from multiple sources that Japan is very homogenous, and proud of this fact. I heard that, with the older generation especially, Americans and other western cultures are considerably disliked by the Japanese.

Is this true?

Answer:


Most Japanese people like, rather than dislike, foreigners. It depends though - if you are a nice, honest, polite person, they will generally like you. If you are rude, dishonest, or mean person, they probably won't like you.

It may be that some older Japanese people don't like Americans. I would bet though that some older Americans don't like Japanese people.

I can only tell you that I have lived here over 4 years, and have not been treated with anything other than kindness and respect.

I am not a manga-obsessed person, but am a fairly normal, well adjusted individual. I like living in Japan, I find it comfortable, the food is good, the people interesting and kind, and the language, while difficult, interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment